Carving of the Virgin and Mantles

The carving of the Virgin is original by Mariano Bellver (1817-1876), a 19th century Spanish imager belonging to a dynasty of sculptors of Valencian origin, and who became an honorary chamber sculptor of Queen Isabel II.

At the beginning of the 20th century there was a fire in which the original carving suffered damage, but not in its structure and it could be restored.

A few years ago, the image was restored again, according to more modern techniques that were able to restore its original characteristics and beauty, leaving it with the appearance that the Virgin as it currently is, and that is as the original of the image. The flushing of her cheeks is striking, so characteristic of 19th century images, and that in the Brotherhood we like to attribute to the blush of the Virgin when she became the Mother of God, Mother of Beautiful Love.

Characteristic of this Archconfraternity is the change of the mantle of its Sacred Head throughout the year.

In the month of May and on the day of her feast, the Virgin wears the red velvet cloak with gold embroidery that was donated by H.M. Queen Elizabeth II. She was very devoted to the Virgin Mother of Beautiful Love, as well as other members of the Royal Family and the Court.

The mantle that the Virgin wears during the summer and until Advent is made of white satin with gold stamping, donated by Mrs. A.I.Carvajal and made by the previous team of the Virgin’s Chamberlain.

In Advent, the Virgin changes her mantle to one made of blue velvet with gold appliqués and ornaments, donated by Mrs. Lucía López, former President of the Archconfraternity and whose dressmaking was made by the previous team of the Virgin’s Chamberlain.

During Lent and The Passion of Our Lord, the Virgin wears the garnet velvet cloak with golden embroidery, donated by Mrs. Lucía López, and Mrs. Consuelo Cózar (former Governing Board of the Archconfraternity). Its dressmaking was made by the previous team of the Virgin’s Chamberlain.

At Easter and until May, the Virgin wears a cream-colored satin mantle and gold appliqués. This cloak was donated by Mrs. Lucía López, and Mrs. Consuelo Cózar (former Governing Board of the Archconfraternity). Its dressmaking was made by the previous team of the Virgin’s Chamberlain.